Purpose can be defined as:
- The reason why something exists.
- The reason why things are done.
Other words for Purpose are: goal, aim, object, intention, etc.
To thank God for all His benefits towards us throughout the month; because, we are warned not to forget all His benefits (Ps. 103:2-5, Mal. 2:2)
Psalm 103:2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
103:3Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
103:4Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
103:5Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Malachi 2:2 = If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.
So, when we give thanks:
- We avert the curse of the Lord that has been poured out already against the ingrates.
- We fulfil the commandments of the Lord to return His glory back to Him.
- We prepare the ground for our next testimony.
- Opportunity opens up for the blessings to be multiplied.
- Our situation becomes perfect, Luke 17:18.
To dedicate means to set some apart for God‘s purpose.
We dedicate the blessings God has brought our way back to Him so that we can secure His perfect will.
We dedicate to God things we cannot keep by ourselves.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
Now, can you bear the burden of raising a child from birth to adulthood by yourself without God helping you?
For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
Whatever you know you cannot be able to keep, give it to God.
Look at this:
Mat 19:13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.
Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 19:15 And he laid his hands on them and departed thence.
Jesus Himself, as a human-born child, was dedicated unto God for preservation.
Luk 2:22 And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord;
Luk 2:23 (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;)
Luk 2:24 And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
Luk 2:25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
Luk 2:26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
Luk 2:27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,
Luk 2:28 Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,
Luk 2:29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:
Luk 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
Luk 2:31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
Luk 2:32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.
Luk 2:33 And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
Luke 2:39And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.
Luke 2:40And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
- Luke 2:52And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
When a child is dedicated to God:
- The Parents have fulfilled the law of the Lord.
- That child grows under God’s watchful eyes
- Physically (overcoming all the early childhood difficulties).
- In intellectually (and in wisdom).
- Spiritually (“waxed strong in spirit”)
- The child will be surrounded with the aroma of favour; which is the goodness of the Lord, all the days of his life.
When we call people out to celebrate their birthday, it is for the purpose of thanksgiving and dedication.
- Thanking God for preserving their lives to see their new year.
- To dedicate their lives unto God to still preserve and keep them from all evil to celebrate more years ahead to fulfil the number of their days.
Psalm 39:4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.
Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
What kind of wisdom does Birthday teaches?
- To accept responsibility:
- Parents over your children
- As a youth full of energy
- As an adult in your active year
- As an old man/woman
This is why everybody looks forward excitedly towards the service of thanksgiving and dedication every month.
It is done in an atmosphere of excitement and praise.